Motor Vehicle Tax Bills

Important Notice:

CT DMV and municipalities across the state are working to resolve some inconsistencies among residents' mailing addresses and domicile (town in which vehicle is garaged) addresses.

If you received a motor vehicle tax bill from a town that you did not reside in or garage your vehicle as of October 1, 2016 contact the Assessor's office in that town to request a transfer to the correct town/city of residency as of October 1, 2016.

Working together to correct these discrepancies will help to eliminate or at least decrease the wait time at the DMV offices. 

If your registration is due to expire within 60 days (or has already expired) and you have not received a renewal notification you must contact the DMV.  If you are being reported with a tax (or other) compliance issue in a town you never lived in, you should contact the town reporting the compliance. 

Check out the DMV web site at for renewing a registration, cancelling plates, verifying your renewal status after payment of delinquent taxes, and much more.


If you no longer own or feel you are being improperly billed for a motor vehicle, contact the Assessor's Office immediately at 203-271-6620.

If you want to change your mailing address for motor vehicle tax bills, you must do so with the

State of Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles

.  Failure to make all necessary changes will cause the misinformation to carry forward on future motor vehicle tax bills.

DMV Release:

If a DMV release is needed to register a motor vehicle payment must be made with cash, a money order or a Cashier's Check at the Collector of Revenue's Office or you may make payment online through Point & Pay.


Contact Us

Useful Links

Town of Cheshire | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2024 Civiclive.